Sunday, April 23, 2006

modern technology

Ever heard the following expression?

"Live by the computer, and you will surely die by it!"

Okay, yeah. This is me. My computer has been having issues for the last week, and yesterday it bombed completely. Totally. Dead beyond all hope of return. (or so I'm told). Anyway, I was on page 6 of a 7-page research paper that was due this morning and *BAM* my comp. keels over and croaks. This is me...panicking: "AHHHEEEIIIIIEI!" (with a few tears thrown in as well!) Okay, not really but it was close. C'mon guys, paper aside, I'm talking FOUR YEARS of my life was stored on this thing! Papers, pictures, letters, addresses, stories!! OH THE MEMORIES! Not to mention only 3 weeks of school left and I have 4 papers still to go, one of which is a 15 page research paper! YIKES!

Well my first reaction was to cry out to God...and I most certainly did. My take on it, however, was to thank him profusely that the other objects I relied on so heavily were still running. Like, my car, for example. Nothing like losing one crucial part of your life to make you appreciate the blessing of the others that much more! After praying for wisdom and help, I didn't know quite what else to do.

So what's a girl to do when her life looks so bleak?!

Call the man in her life! He's supposed to be able to fix everything, right?!

I called Scott and we dashed my laptop off to Best Buy. They looked it over and told us it was probably fried through a power surge and oh, by the way, your power adapter is screwed too. Best wishes, have a nice night.

Great. It was at this moment, I began suffering tremors and nightmarish visions of having to look up all new resources and start my paper afresh. I had exactly 12 hours (straight through the night) to somehow replicate a paper that had taken me 3 days thus far to research. The worst part was I didn't even have time to deal with it because I had to dash off to an evening conference that I was obligated to be at.

I set my laptop in Scott's lap, looked him right in the eye, and said, "If you can perform a miracle, I'll love you forever!" then rushed off to the conference.

(Okay, okay, don't panic, I didn't exactly say that. It was more like, "HELP ME! PLEASE! JUST DO SOMETHING! ANYTHING!" and away I went.)

I returned to Scott's an hour later, panicked, frenzied, starved, and realizing I had to be at work in 40 minutes. (I work quick night shifts, 9p-11p). Let me tell you Guys, that kid came through for me like a Champ!

Scott (being somewhat computer savvy) had transferred almost everything from my hard drive onto his computer, including my paper. He led me to his computer, and I sat down and quick dashed off the conclusion to my paper so I could print it off. When I followed my nose back to the kitchen this kid was just pulling chicken off the grill for a fabulous, fresh chicken Caesar salad. THE BOY MADE DINNER, folks!

So while I am still without a computer (it looks like I'll nearly be living in Calvin's library from now on using their's) all is still well with the world and I am SO BLESSED by everything God has provided for me, including....well, you know....Scott! ;) ;)

6 Comments:

At 10:41 AM, April 27, 2006 , Blogger Lisa said...

This boy is a keeper! He fixes the computer problem and fixed supper in the meantime. Did you pinch him to see if he was real?

 
At 4:03 PM, April 27, 2006 , Blogger Miriam Solomon said...

oh bruther...can you see me rolling my eyes? *gag*

no but seriously, how awesome is SCOTT! what a sweet considerate guy. did you make sure to give him a big SMOOCH!! in return for his gracious gestures...you do realize that he's hoping for some love in return. ou gotta come up w/ something GINORMOUS cindy. love you.

 
At 5:06 PM, April 27, 2006 , Blogger Joni said...

Definitely a keeper Miss Cindy:)

 
At 3:34 AM, April 28, 2006 , Blogger Nichole said...

Mirm, you're too funny.

Cindy - This boy is definitely a keeper!

 
At 1:55 PM, April 30, 2006 , Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, Cindy. I think your parentals are in denial!!!!! ;)

Here's my only request, concerning Scott. If he IS the guy for you, than he MUST MUST MUST be willing to move to Indiana for the rest of his life (or at least until I found my ticket out of here!)

 
At 6:21 PM, May 06, 2006 , Blogger WhyamIdoingthis said...

Wow.. you are taken very quickly with Scott. Congrats. My grandma always told me that when true love hits you, you know and it smacks you up against your face when you are NOT looking for it. Evan told me that he wanted a relationship with me within four days of knowing him and I was dating his frat brother.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home